Monday, December 31, 2007

A Tropical Paradise Indeed...But Only If You're NOT a Runner.

I have to say, Maui is an amazing place. The view of the Pacific Ocean outside our condo is stunning and the island itself is an awe inspiring creation of volcanic rock, but as nice as it is I have to say it's a tough place to be a distance runner. Now, mind you, I'm used to running in THE BEST RUNNING VENUES IN THE WORLD (Portland, of course) but this place is completely on the opposite end of the running spectrum. To give you an idea what I'm talking about let me tell you about the run I went on today.

Usually on a Monday afternoon I would go someplace like the Glendoveer Fitness Trail or maybe even the Mt. Talbert Trail...but since I'm not in Portland I had to improvise. After spending the entire afternoon on my laptop looking for trails in the area I finally gave up and went for a run on the shoulder of the Hana Highway. I love to run, and, generally, it doesn't matter where I do it...but today's run reminded me of when I was a little kid and people would suggest I go out to the highway and play in traffic! I'm going to keep searching and I'm hoping that tomorrow I find a better place to run otherwise I may just have to go for a swim instead.
-Coach Howard

No comments: